Friday, 21 September 2012

Happy Birthday...

It turns out that lots of fairly important things have happened in history on 21st September. If you follow the AP1 English Blog, you'll have discovered that today is an important date. This made me wonder if there were any famous musicians who were born on this day, it turns out there are... (click read more)




Probably the most famous composer to be born on this date is Gustav Holst, he was an English composer, if he was still alive, he would be 138 today. 

His most famous piece of music is called "The Planets" - which is another coincidence since we're learning about spacey music in Year 5...

Have a watch of this video of his piece called "Mars - The Bringer of War" and see what you think:

Happy birthday Mr Holst.

Have a great weekend everybody.

5 comments:

  1. Mr Charlie I like this piece of MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Keerthy Anoushka Parameswaran Nair 3V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the song "planet's" is wired

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't understand which instruments are being played,and I think it is an ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Atasi. We call this kind of 'ensemble' an orchestra. There are very many instruments playing in this piece - this is what I found on wikipedia:

      Woodwind: 4 flutes, 3 oboes, an English horn, 3 clarinets, a bass clarinet in B-flat, 3 bassoons and a contrabassoon
      Brass: 6 horns, 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, a "tenor tuba" (euphonium in B-flat) and a bass tuba
      Keyboards: a celesta, and an organ
      Percussion: 6 timpani, a bass drum, a snare drum, cymbals, a triangle, a tam-tam, a tambourine, a glockenspiel, a xylophone, and tubular bells
      Strings: 2 harps, 1st and 2nd violins, violas, violoncellos, and double basses

      Delete